Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Unashamed By Heather Davis Nelson


Whether it's related to relationships, body image, work difficulties, or a secret sin, we all experience shame at some point in our lives. While shame can manifest itself in different ways—fear, regret, and anger—it ultimately points us to our most fundamental need as human beings: redemption.

Shame never disappears in solitude, and Heather Davis Nelson invites us to not only be healed of our own shame but also be a part of healing for others. She shines the life-giving light of the gospel on the things that leave us feeling worthless and rejected, giving us courage us to walk out of shame’s shadows and offering hope for our bondage to brokenness. Through the gospel, we discover the only real and lasting antidote to shame: exchanging our shame for the righteousness of Christ alongside others on this same journey.


I am a writer, counselor, retreat speaker, mom to fraternal twin daughters born in 2010, wife of a pastor, big sister to two brothers way taller than me, and daughter of parents who taught me to love Jesus and everything Carolina-style. Most important to my identity is that I am one who finds my life hidden in another's: Christ my Redeemer - an impossible gift of God's grace through my mustard-seed sized faith. I love coffee, reading, front porch conversations, the beach, date night with my husband, and story time with my daughters. I enjoy writing as a way to connect with others as we find hope amidst the broken places of life and seek grace for daily struggles. 

I went to Wheaton College for undergrad, getting my B.A. in Elementary Education with concentrations in Spanish and English, and my M.A. in Counseling is from Westminster Theological Seminary. 

Besides my book, "Unashamed: Healing our Brokenness and Finding Freedom from Shame," I also regularly write at Hidden Glory: heatherdavisnelson.com.

My Review

I really thought the author did very well with this study.  All of us have dealt with shame in our life time. How we deal with it is another issue. Heather Nelson goes through 3 different types of shame, body shame, social shame, and performance shame. There is in depth study of each and I love the scriptures used. This book really makes you think. Great book for a study group.  

I will be giving one book away ! Please leave comment below!

"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post. Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway.  If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win.  Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”





1 comment:

  1. This book looks very inspiring. Thank you for the review and giveaway

    ReplyDelete