Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Jo Huddleston with Claiming Peace










Please welcome Jo Huddleston to my blog today.  Jo has a new book releasing called  " Claiming Peace"  

Please tell us a little about yourself.
We live in a college town, which made it convenient for our children to earn college degrees. We love living in the South and vacationing on the seashore of the Gulf of Mexico. We have grown children who live nearby.

What 3 fun or unique things can you tell us about yourself that we don’t know?
I don’t enjoy being in elevators. I don’t like being in the dark—at least one light is left on in my house 24-7. In other words, I’m claustrophobic.

Please describe yourself with three words.
Hopeful, enthusiastic, positive.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?
Being with my children and grandchildren, spending time at the beach, and reading.

How did you become involved in writing?
In college I became an avid reader. When I retired from working, I sent a few short stories out. When the swift rejections arrived, I decided maybe I needed to know more about writing than just reading it. After reading writing craft books and magazines, my first article was accepted. Three years later my first two books released.

Where do you write? Do you have a dedicated office or a corner or nook in a room?
I have a corner of a room anchored with a desk that I used at home when I was in high school. I have a laptop, printer, and stacks of papers in my “office.”

Do you always know the title of your books before you write them?  
In my mind I do. I plot my book in my mind. I don’t outline my stories. I choose a title that describes or summarizes that story. None of my titles have been changed by a publisher—yet.


 
Please tell us about Claiming Peace.

An inspirational Southern historical romance

Facing her lowest moments, Callie’s life begins to crumble.
As he’s done for others of his extended family, can Jim help her find peace?

Visit again the Callaway family and friends in 1951 who live in the Southern Appalachians of East Tennessee. Why did Callie have an appointment with a neurologist? Will she work her way through whatever lies ahead for her and her family? Does Emmajean’s attraction for the young lawyer, Terry, blossom further or die on the vine when he wants her to meet his parents? Can Caroline and Jim find happiness in their long-delayed marriage? You’ll meet some new characters as the Callaway saga continues. Follow the Callaway family throughout the Caney Creek Series—live their triumphs, sorrows, achievements, and losses.

Can you relate the book cover with your story?
Claiming Peace is book 3 in the Caney Creek Series. The top half of the cover shows a beautiful, peaceful creek that is as important as any character in the entire series. The lower half of the cover has a loving couple walking on the beach in winter. Which characters would go to the beach in winter instead of summer?

What takeaway value do you hope your readers receive after reading this book?
Claiming Peace is the story of how believers approach the peace that Jesus promised to leave with us when He left. Do some claim the peace and reap calm in their lives? Do others ignore that peace Jesus left and also don’t spend time with Him? Accepting God’s peace allows us to turn to Him in times of need. The book’s message is that claiming God’s peace, even in the midst of turmoil and chaos, we will be more likely to rely on Him and not try to take care of things without His help.

Where did you get the idea for your series?
All of my ancestors and I were raised in the East Tennessee Appalachian Mountains region. I listened to their entertaining stories, especially at family reunions. The Caney Creek Series is a story of many stories along with a good bit of my creativity as I write about a time before I was born.

Did you have to do any research for this book?
Yes. Google was my go-to source where I found factual details needed in my book.

How long have you been writing? When did you sell your first book?
I began writing in 1990, sold my first article in 1991, and sold my first book from a contact at a writers’ conference in 1993.

What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
Read all you can about the craft of writing. Find a writers’ conference near enough to be affordable for you to attend. Soak in all you can in the workshops and from the speakers, editors, and publishers even at meal times. Be prepared for rejection. They won’t be rejecting you but what you wrote. Margaret Mitchell received over twenty-five rejections for Gone With the Wind! The publishers told her nobody wanted to read about the Civil War. Be patient and never give up if you believe God has given you the talent to write for His glory.

Please tell us where we can find you.
My blog is at www.johuddl
eston.com
On Facebook you can find me at https://facebook.com/jo.huddleston.hope


Please tell our readers where they can get your book.

Signed copies are available on my website by clicking the orange button in the sidebar. My website is http://www.johuddleston.com/p/home.html

Paperback copies are available at my publisher’s website, http://www.donaldjamesparker.com/sOSProducts.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment